Key Payroll Tax Due Dates for California in 2024
In California, as in many states, payroll tax due dates and deadlines are essential to maintaining compliance and avoiding penalties. Below, I'll provide you with key payroll tax due dates and deadlines specific to California for the tax year 2024. Please note that these dates may be subject to change, so it's essential to verify them with the California Employment Development Department (EDD) or a qualified tax professional.
Quarterly Payroll Tax Deadlines in California:
- January 1, 2024:
- The start of the new quarter and the tax year.
- April 30, 2024:
- Deadline for filing and paying first-quarter payroll taxes for 2024.
- July 31, 2024:
- Deadline for filing and paying second-quarter payroll taxes for 2024.
- October 31, 2024:
- Deadline for filing and paying third-quarter payroll taxes for 2024.
- January 31, 2025:
- Deadline for filing and paying fourth-quarter payroll taxes for 2024.
Annual Payroll Tax Deadlines in California:
January 1, 2024:
- The beginning of the new tax year.
January 31, 2024:
- Deadline for distributing Form W-2 to employees and filing Form W-2 and Form W-3 with the Social Security Administration (SSA). These forms report employee wages and withholding.
- Deadline for filing Form 1099-MISC with the IRS if you made payments to independent contractors.
February 28, 2024 (March 31, 2024, if filing electronically):
- Deadline for filing paper Form 1099-NEC (Non-Employee Compensation) with the IRS, along with Form 1096, Annual Summary and Transmittal of U.S. Information Returns.
February 29, 2024 (March 31, 2024, if filing electronically):
- Deadline for providing Form 1095-C to employees if your business is subject to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The deadline is extended to March 31 if you're filing electronically.
April 15, 2024:
- For businesses operating as sole proprietorships or single-member LLCs, this is the deadline for filing your personal tax return using Form 1040, including Schedule C, to report business income.
Please note that these dates are subject to change, and there may be additional requirements and deadlines based on your specific business circumstances and location within California. It's crucial to stay updated on California's payroll tax requirements by regularly checking the California EDD website or consulting with a tax professional who specializes in California tax regulations.
Register for our upcoming Webinar: Unlocking Success in 2024: Key Tax Updates with KPMG Tax Managing Partner Mindy Mayo and Notice Ninja CPO | Cofounder Rick Pinkerman on Tuesday November 14, 2023.